Where Are We in CLT: Anderson’s
The restaurant may have closed in 2006, but the sign is still up. More importantly, the pies are still being baked.
The three Anderson brothers opened Anderson’s (originally called Mercury Sandwich Shop) in 1946 across from Presbyterian Hospital at Hawthorne and Elizabeth avenues, and the legend grew from there. Here’s a look at Anderson’s in 1989 and the dining room in 1960.
When brother Jimmie took over the business, he soon began advertising “The World’s BEST Pecan Pie” and serving generous slices of Southern deliciousness every day. Jimmie’s son, Gary, took the reins in 1979, continuing the traditions of this Charlotte landmark, where local leaders would start their day making plans and deals over a hot breakfast.
Eventually, the dining room closed, but Gary kept the kitchen and transitioned the business to catering. Anderson’s still offers 10-inch, extra-deep pecan pies with a recipe that hasn’t changed since 1959, as well as chocolate pecan, coconut cream, lemon meringue and banana pudding — just to name a few.