What happens when talented Charlotte cooks and chefs use Bo’s Famous Seasoning to create a brand new dish? Chef Jeff McElwee took the challenge, along with four other chefs. Bon appétit!
“Bo-licious” Sweet & Spicy Cheerwine®/Bojangles BBQ Sauce
By Chef Jeff McElwee
This sauce is made with fresh cherries and habaneros that were smoked over hickory chips for two hours along with Cheerwine®, rehydrated tart cherries, candied strawberries and Bo’s Famous Seasoning. It’s the perfect amount of sweet, spicy and smokey!
- 1 2.75oz bottle Bo’s Famous Seasoning
- 4 cups Cheerwine
- 5 habaneros
- 1lb fresh cherries
- 1 5oz bag dried cherries
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard
- 4 cups ketchup
- 1.5 cups water
- 1.5 cups strawberry preserves
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke (optional)
- Remove the pits from the cherries and destem habaneros. Place in a smoker over high heat for a minimum of one hour, remove and set aside.
- Place dried cherries and Cheerwine® in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add ketchup, vinegar, molasses, yellow mustard, strawberry preserves, water and Bo’s Famous Seasoning.
- Whisk until fully combined and remove from heat.
- In small increments, place the contents of the saucepot and smoked cherries and habaneros in a blender.
- Blend on high speed until the contents are smooth and add to a second saucepot.
- Once everything is fully blended, put the saucepan on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Whisk every few minutes until the sauce is boiling.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for one hour, whisking occasionally.
- Sauce is ready to use or store for later use!
Enjoy photos of this dish shot by Ernesto Moreno.
About Chef Jeff McElwee
An avid Bojangler since 1999, Chef Jeff McElwee has often praised Bojangles for its ability to bring a person back to life after a long evening. After spending years at the front of restaurants, Jeff switched to the back of the house in 2014 and has been cooking ever since. FūD on the MūV focuses on pop-ups and event catering around Charlotte. And, they supply cakes and pastries to Pinky’s, Queen City Grounds and more.
This Culinary Exploration Was Sponsored By
Like what we write?
Do you think you have what it takes to write for the Biscuit?Well, let us know!!
"*" indicates required fields