Home » Happenings »
HUG LIFE: Cine Casual’s New Film Series for a New Yearby Bernice Mar on January 7, 2020
Giovanna Torres is getting ready to introduce Charlotte to a new cultural experience. With the help of HUG (Helpful Unfettered Gift) funds, she’s used creative flyers, posters and a film trailer to capture attention and spread the word about the Cine Casual Film Series.
And, word is spreading fast. Social media posts and the landing page – made available in both English and Spanish — made content interaction easier and reached the broader audience targeted.
Cine Casual brings six recent internationally-acclaimed, award-winning Latin American films to Charlotte. Each screening will be followed by 20–30 minute panel discussion with Charlotte-based artists and community leaders who will connect film themes seen to local issues and perspectives. Attendees can take a seat in a safe space and comfortably talk about complex themes:
- Many of our issues in the U.S. are universal. How are other global communities handling them?
- How might we use these insights to build a stronger community and initiate new relationships here in Charlotte?
Attend the Premiere on 1/11/2020
If you’re interested in film, Spanish language and mingling with new people, experience this cultural kickoff event on January 11 at Camp North End. It will include a screening of Matar a Jesus, followed by an Opening Night Reception Party at MacFly Fresh Printing Co. — along with live music, food by Manolo’s Latin Bakery, and limited edition screen-printed posters.
There will be six films shown between January and April. An all-access pass for all events is $45 per person.
- Matar a Jesús / Killing Jesus (Jan. 11, 2020)
- La camarista / The Chambermaid (Jan. 25 or 26, 2020)
- Candelaria (Feb. 15, 2020)
- Las Vegas (Mar. 7, 2020)
- El despertar de las hormigas / The Awakening of the Ants (Mar. 21, 2020)
- Temblores / Tremors (Apr. 4, 2020)
Cine Casual is an opportunity for the Latinx community to see themselves represented on the big screen, as well as a chance for curiosity seekers to experience high-quality Latin American films.
For an “All Access Pass” and other details go to https://cinecasual.com/filmseries/.