Home » Uncategorized »
Weeknight Black Bean Chiliby The Biscuit Staff on February 26, 2019
Weekend Black Bean Chili by BudgetBytes.com
Picked by Haley Bohon, Founder of SkillPop
This easy and comforting black bean chili is rich, full of warm chili spices, and fast enough to pull together on a busy weeknight.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Servings: 6 (just over one cup each)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lb. ground turkey
- 3 15 oz. cans black beans
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles*
- 3 oz. tomato paste (1/2 of a 6oz. can or about 1/4 cup)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder**
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1)Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add the onion and garlic to a large pot with 1 Tbsp olive oil and cook over medium-low heat just until softened (2-3 minutes).
2) Add the ground turkey to the pot and continue to sauté until the turkey is cooked through (5-7 minutes). Break the turkey up into small crumbles with your spoon as it cooks.
3) Add the three cans of beans (undrained), the diced tomatoes (undrained), tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and oregano. Stir everything to combine.
4) Let the chili simmer for about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend and help the liquid thicken slightly. Taste the chili and add salt as needed (this will depend on the salt content of your canned goods. I added about 1/4 tsp). Serve with your favorite chili toppings.
*If you want a mild chili, you can use plain diced tomatoes instead of diced tomatoes with green chiles.
**This chili powder is a mild, earthy blend of spices, including mild red chiles.