Our New Best Friend(s): Stephen and Nathan Tucker of Powder Studio Porcelain
To help us celebrate the spirit of Valentine’s Day 2021, we asked our Instagram followers to help us identify the inspirational creative couples at work in the Queen City. And, the suggestions – like Cupid’s arrow – came flying in.
Using those suggestions, we posted a story on seven of Charlotte’s coolest creative couples.
But, seven is too just too small a number. We had a few last-minute entries that commanded our attention. One of them was the team behind Powder Studio Porcelain, Stephen and Nathan Tucker. We immediately fell in love with their whimsy, their wit and their work.
Now, they’re our new best friends. After you read about them and see their artistry online, they’ll be yours, too.
How long have you lived in Charlotte?
- Stephen: 9 years
- Nathan: 17 years (on and off)
In what creative media do you work? What skills do you use?
- Stephen: Ceramics! I oversee the studio, order materials, maintain equipment, mix and test glazes/clays, cast, sand, fire in our kilns … all of it!
- Nathan: Porcelain! Design, design, design.
What’s the first project you remember working on together?
- Nathan: Oh gosh, a project from 10 years ago that really “sticks out” is a bracelet holder that was essentially a porcelain adult toy. You’re welcome, bracelet holder owners!
- Stephen: The most memorable part of our beginning was learning and building our knowledge/technique together blended with lots of terrible mistakes and tears. But, the struggle was worth it.
What’s one thing you love about Charlotte’s creative community?
It is incredibly talented, supportive and overwhelmingly good-looking.
Where can we find out more about your work?
Like what we write?
Do you think you have what it takes to write for the Biscuit?Well, let us know!!
"*" indicates required fields